Historic High Springs
High Springs grew up around the Savannah, Florida and Western Railroad maintenance facility for its many steam locomotives. At one time, a dozen tracks crossed Main Street, leading to a roundhouse, maintenance shed and storage buildings. The steam trains are long gone, but High Springs has been reborn as a center for outdoor activities and antiques shopping. You can find an extensive list of things to see and do, and places to eat on our sister site, SantaFeRiver.com.
Fort White (the actual military fort) was constructed during the Second Seminole War in 1836 to protect the Cow Creek settlement. Supplies were brought in by steamboat on the Santa Fe River and distributed to other area forts. The town was incorporated in 1884 and grew steadily following the arrival of the railroad in 1888. Today the town is best known as the home of Ichetucknee State Park, famous as summertime tubing mecca.
The town from which Alachua County takes its name began in 1884 along the railroad line connecting Gainesville and Tallahassee. A booming economic center, it is best known for its historic Main Street, with stately Victorian-era homes and numerous shops and restaurants. Visit the Alachua Chamber of Commerce website.